The Mutton Biryani is one of the most favorite biryani recipes in india and Pakistan. Almost all the population of subcontinent loves the biryani. It is similar to the chicken biryani or fish biryani as they are made with the same method with rice. It is one of the most popular dish of subcontinent and easily available in the restaurant of UK and USA. Truly, it is one of the best main courses recipes of all the occasions including lunch and dinner. It is served with salad, onion raita and cucumber raita. Enjoy with it!
Ingredients: Awesome Mutton Biryani Recipe
- 500 grams of washed and drained basmati rice
- 2 pieces of bay leaves
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 teaspoon of black cumin seeds
- 6 black cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1 javitri
- 1 teaspoon of fennel
- 1/4th of jaiphal
- 3 teaspoon of salt
For marination of mutton
- 1 kilogram of mutton, cut it in two inches pieces mainly from the front end.
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 3 tablespoon of raw papaya paste
- 4 tablespoon of hung curd
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of red powdered chilli
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
Other Required Ingredients of Awesome Mutton Biryani Recipe
- 4 thinly sliced onions
- 1 chopped tomatoes
- 1/4th cup of warm milk
- Saffron strands
- Rose water
- 4 green chillies
- Kewra essence.
Method of Preparation: Mutton Biryani Recipe
- For the mutton marination, add beaten curd to the mutton, raw papaya paste, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, lemon juice and salt.
- Let the mutton marinate for 3 hours.
- For fried barista or onion, slice your 2 onions thinly and demarcate the slices.
- Add oil in karahi or pan and fry your sliced onion into finely brown color
- Make sure you do not burn the onions. So, fry them in small batches so as to avoid producing lumpy and messy onion when you fry all together.
- Ensure the entire sliced onion is fried in deep oil. So, you can add more oil if need. Continue to stir to get even brown color.
- With ladle or slotted spoon, take the onion out.
- Place them inside paper towel.
- For cooking the mutton, inside thick bottomed pan, heat your ghee.
- Put in slice onions that remained as well as green chillies. Fry and continuously stir to until formed golden brown color.
- Add your ginger-garlic paste and stir very well.
- Put in the marinated mutton and cook on flame to about 7 -8 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder. Ensure you stir vigorously.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and bring the mixture to boil, decrease the heat and cook until the mutton is about to done.
- Put in tomatoes, fresh coriander leaves garam masala powder and salt.
- Cook for about 15 minutes using medium heat and stir occasionally. The meat should not have watery gravy and you have to separate ghee from the spices.
How to Prepare the rice
- You only need quality basmati rice with long grain. Soak it for 20 minutes into water and ensure you wash it very well till the water is clear. Then drain the entire water.
- Take cardamom, jaiphal, javitri, cloves, cinnamon, shahi jeera, black peppercorn, star anise. Make a bag by tying a knot.
- Boil about 750 ml of water and add rice, potli, bay leaf and salt and continue to cook until rice is 1/3rd
- Remove water in the rice as well as masala potli.
Prepare Your Saffron-Milk
- Dissolve the saffron strands with 1/4th cup of warm milk.
- Cover it and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes. Put in rose water as well as kewra essence inside the milk. Blend it very well and cover and place one side.
For the Mutton Biryani Layer
- Get pan with tight fitting lid and heavy bottom.
- Put in 2 tablespoon of ghee and melt ghee with heat. Coat the bottom and sides with ghee by rotating in a careful manner. Remove the heat.
- Put in cooked rice layer, pieces of cooked meat spread saffron water and ghee with fried onion slices.
- Add rice layer again and meat then continue this way until the entire layer will be rice.
- Cover the mixture with chopped coriander and pudina; slit green chillies, fried onion and juice from one lemon.
- Replace the lid and seal up the pan using flour dough and cover. Reduce the heat to the lowest limit and cook biryani in this for about 40 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and allow to stand about 10 minutes and put into serving bowl
- Serve mutton biryani with salad and raita.