Planning your Easter menu should definitely include awesome scalloped potatoes which is a perfectly delicious recipe tender form the bottom and slightly crisp on the top. The dish is cheesy and creamy and is irresistibly good. The recipe is lighter as milk is used in place of heavy cream. To make the dish irresistible, there have been included lots of garlic, cheddar and parmesan cheese as well.
Ingredients: Awesome Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Golden potatoes (sliced into 1/8 inches round and peeled if required) – 1.8 kg
- White r yellow onion (peeled and sliced evenly) – 1 small
- Garlic clove (minced) – 4 large
- Butter – 3 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour – 3 tablespoons
- Low-fat milk – 2 cups
- Fresh thyme leaves (divided) – 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Vegetable or chicken stock – 1 cup
- Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated) – 1/0 cup
- Cheddar cheese (divided) – 1-1/2 cups
Cooking instructions: Awesome Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a sauté pan over medium high heat and melt butter. Add onions and sauté until translucent and soft. Add garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and combine for additional 1 minute or until completely even.
- Add in stock and whisk well.
- Add in salt, pepper, milk and 1 teaspoon of thyme. Whisk until well combined.
- Continue cooking until the sauce comes to a simmer (not boiling) and thickens.
- Remove from flame and set aside.
- Grease 1, 9×13 inches baking pan with oil and spread half the potatoes quantity in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Pour half of the cream sauce over it. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese over it and all the parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining sliced potatoes and the remaining cream sauce as well as the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 25 – 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1 teaspoon thyme. Serve warm.