The basa fish is a species of catfish. It is a fresh water fish farmed mainly in the waters Mekong and Chao Phraya system in the Indochina Sea.
It is one the world’s successful aquaculture species. It grows fast and provide large white fillet without bones. It has light firm texture, moist and mild fish flavor. Basa fish is an ideal to cook in restaurants and also easy to cook at home in different styles and recipes.
Here, I will give the popular recipe in Raghogarh, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Ingredients: Baked Basa Fish with Bhat/Basmati Rice Recipe
3 large fillets of basa fish
Boil Basmati rice
For the Marination
Chopped fresh coriander
Salt to taste
Juice of 1 lime
90 gm hung curd
3 tsp oil
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp paste of dry red chilli
8-10 cloves of garlic
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/3 tsp cumin seeds
2 cups of boiled basmati rice
Preparation Method- Baked Basa Fish with Basmati Rice
• First of all dry roast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Now put these seeds in grinding machine to grind to powder. Now put the garlic cloves into grinder to make a paste with small quantity of salt.
• Mix the ghee, hung card, lime juice, salt, turmeric powder and dry red chili paste. Combine garlic paste and ground spices with this mixture. Mix this mixture well to make a uniform paste.
• Combine the marinade and handful of chopped coriander and mix well. Now create fillets of fish and apply the marinade to these fillets. Make sure to coat the fillets of fish well with the paste.
• Make a bed for rice with the help of banana leaf. Put the boiled rice on this layer of banana leaf and place the fish on this bed of rice carefully.
• Make a parcel of banana leaf by folding the leaf and tie with string. The size of parcel should be small so that you can place these parcels in an oven.
• Adjust the oven on medium heat and place the fish parcels for 15 minutes. Observe the change in the appearance of parcel carefully.
• After 15 minutes, remove the banana leaf parcel and unwrap it. Serve the fish with salad and drinks on the bed of boiled rice.