Bhappa Aloo is a delicious Bengali dish in which steamed potatoes are mixed with the spices, mustard and coconut blend gives a satisfying taste. I saw this recipe in an Asian journal and I liked the sample recipe and tried.
Ingredients: Bhappa Aloo I Steamed Potato (Bengali style)
- 1 table spoon mustard
- 2 table spoon mustard oil
- 1/2 table spoon of cumin, Fennel, Fenugreek, Mustard seeds
- Few red chilies
- 250 grams of medium sized potatoes
- 1 table spoon desiccated coconut paste
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 table spoon of turmeric powder
- Salt as per requirement of the taste
- 1/2 table spoon lime juice
- 1 table spoon curd
Preparation Method: Bhappa Aloo I Steamed Potato (Bengali style)
- Boil the potatoes in a water pot, add salt to the water.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add ½ table spoon of cumin, Fennel, Fenugreek, Mustard seeds.
- Add red chilies.
- Stir the mixture of spices until it gets homogeneous.
- Take the boiled potatoes and peel off the skin. Mash the potatoes.
- Add the mixture to the mashed potatoes and leave the mixture for a while.
- Take a separate bowl and mix mustard and mustard oil.
- Add coconut paste, curd, turmeric power.
- Add 1 table spoon water and then green chilies.
- Prepare a marinade by smooth mixing.
- Add salt and lime juice.
- Leave a mixture for a minute or two.
- Pour the mixture on the mashed potatoes.
- The potatoes should be mixed with the marinade
- Take a dish, pour mixture of mashed potatoes
- Steam potatoes for a while.
Bhappa Aloo I Steamed Potato (Bengali style) is ready to be served.