To celebrate the occasion there is one favorite recipe that is Biriyani. In Pakistan, people prefer Mutton biriyani or chicken briyani. There are two types of briyani are famous in South Indian state of Malabar, Kerala. One is Calicut briyani also called (Kozhikodan Biriyani) and the other is Thalassery biryani (also called Kerala biryani).
The Calicut Biryani or Kozhikodan Biriyani has got famed due to its aroma and taste. Biriyani is a rice based recipe in which rice is blended with meat or chicken. The chicken and rice are cooked separately before blending and garnishing. It is believed that these biriyani recipes must have been introduces by the Moghuls from Samarkhand and native rulers of Mysore and Arcot.
Ingredients: Calicut Biryani Recipe I Kozhikodan Biriyani Recipe
Biryani Masala ingredients:-
- 2 Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 2 Star anise
- 1 Mace
- 10 grams Nutmeg
- 2 Cardamom 2nos
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 tea spoon Caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
For chicken Marination Calicut Biryani Recipe I Kozhikodan Biriyani Recipe
- 1 /2 cup Chicken 1kg Curd
- ½ teaspoons Biryani Masala
- 3/4 teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Indian white poppy seed
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 2 Ginger
- 12 Green chilly
- 2 Tomato
- Mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 600g Onion
For Biryani Rice: Calicut Biryani Recipe I Kozhikodan Biriyani Recipe
- 800 grams rice
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 drops Rose water
- l2 teaspoons Coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons Ghee
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 Cloves
- 1 small Cinnamon stick
Preparation method: Calicut Biryani I Kozhikodan Biriyani
- Add all the Biryani Masala ingredients in grinder and grind.
- Add a poppy seed, water and make a paste.
- Add washed chicken, curd, lemon juice, Biryani Masala, turmeric powder,1/2 pepper crushed garlic, green chili, ginger, poppy seed paste and salt.
- For Masala add thinly slice onion.
- Add slice tomatoes, chopped coriander, mint leaves.
- Heat the pan adds coconut oil and onion and fry.
- Fry cashew, add black pepper, cloves, cinnamon nut, sliced onion, and crushed garlic, green chili and ginger.
- Add chopped tomato, Biryani Masala, turmeric powder mix well.
- Add the marinated chicken and stir.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and salt.
- Turn off the heat.
- Boil water and add rose water, salt, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Heat a pan adds ghee or cooking oil in a large and deep pan.
- Add rice and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled water, lemon juice, coconut oil.
- Cover the vessel and lid with gram flour
- Put a wet cloth on top wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Open the vessel, transfer rice in to another vessel and mix well.
- Place the boiled egg on the top.
Calicut Biryani I Kozhikodan Biriyani is ready. Enjoy!