French onion puffs is an excellent appetizer recipe which goes quite well on your snacks table as well as in holiday time. These are perfect with tea or coffee and most of the flavors are inspired from the classic French onion soup. The broth of the beef really works well and the caramelized onions are the main highlight of the dish. The topping of the puffs with cheese is perfect for getting that cheesy bite you want.
Ingredients: French Onion Puffs Recipe
- Sweet onions (sliced ) – 2
- Salt according to taste
- Pepper according to taste
- Beef broth – ½ cup
- Heavy cream – 3 tablespoons
- Fresh thyme (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Puff pastry – as required
- French cheese (grated) – 1 tablespoon
How to Make French Onion Puffs Recipe
- In a sauté pan, pour olive oil and butter and heat on medium flame. Add the sliced onions and sauté until they are tender and caramelized (nearly 25 to 30 minutes).
- Season the caramelized onions with salt, pepper and fresh thyme.
- Add beef broth and simmer the mixture until it has reduced completely.
- Now add heavy cream and stir well.
- Flatten the puff pastry with a rolling pin and cut in square shapes to be around 2-1/2 inches in size. Press every square in the shape of a cup in a lightly greased muffin pan.
- Place the onion filling in every cup and top with grated cheese.
- Bake the puffs at 375o F until golden brown (approximately 19 to 22 minutes).