Kulfi is a Pakistan and Indian version of ice cream that normally uses Khoya a special ingredient. It is very popular frozen dessert. Khoya is the main ingredient that is used in the preparation of Kulfi and this is actually an old desiccated product of milk and shows some kind of similarity with Cheese. If you live in United States then finding this ingredient can be difficult for you so as a substitute you can use ricotta cheese. Unlike ice cream while making kulfi there is no need to do any kind of churning. Time and patience is sometime needed in making a perfect kulfi, but once you will master the real recipe it will be great fun.
The Ingredients: Kulfi Recipe (Pakistani Ice Cream, Indian Ice Cream)
- 1 1/2 cups Evaporated milk
- Ground cardamom one pinch
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- Khoya or
- Ricotta cheese 2 ounces
- Shelled pistachios ¼ cup
Preparation Method: Kulfi (Pakistani Ice Cream, Indian Ice Cream)
- In a nonstick pot pour half milk and half Khoya and this should be cooked on the high flame. You will have to stir frequently and take care related with scraping of bottom and pot sides so that milk can be saved from scorching.
- When it is near boiling the heat should be lowered, continue with frequent sessions of stirring, raising the heat to medium while stirring and lower it to simmer when you have to move away from stove. This should be allowed to cook for a period of two hours. After every stirring interval you will find richer, creamy skin formation upon surface. This should be stirred back into the form of mixture.
- Towards the end of 2 hours the liquid amount with which you initially started should be reduced to half and its color will now be deep and richer. Make the addition of sugar and upon simmer it should cooked for another one and half hour time period. Sugar should be permitted to get caramelized in milk and it should be stirred in a frequent manner.
- In the next step you will have to remove 3 cups of liquid and it should be permitted to cool.
- Pistachios should be grinded in the form of a coarse powder in the food processor.
- The Ricotta should be blended into a cooled cream and mixture should be poured into the pot again and everything should be mixed in a proper fashion. This should be cooled for 20 minutes and after this add grounded pistachios.
- Liquid should be poured into molds and care should be taken that serving size should be kept smaller because this particular dessert is richer.
- The molds should be covered in a proper fashion with the help of plastic wrap. These should be placed in the freezer for a period of 6 hours till they are frozen in a complete fashion.
- The kulfi should be taken out of the freezer 10 to 20 minutes prior to serving and ensure safe removal from molds. In case you have used a larger container in place of molds for freezing the kulfi, then before serving cut kulfi into triangles and squares.