Samosas are the most exciting and delicious forms of snacks that are enjoyed with tea in India and Pakistan. They are tetrahedral in shape and are like pastries which can be made with different kinds of stuffing of vegetable as well as meat. However, the best Samosa recipe is that includes simple potatoes with spices is considered as the most popular version.
Different kinds of Samosas are made in various parts of Central and Southern Asia. The most interesting aspect is that Indian and Pakistani immigrants have also made these snacks extremely popular in South Africa and eastern Africa and in these regions they are referred to as Samoosas.
Ingredients for making wrapping dough of Samosas
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- Oil ¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 to 7 tablespoons of water
Ingredients needed for filling of samosas
- ¼ cup of oil
- Minced gingerroot 1 tablespoon
- Peeled, cooled and cooked russet potatoes 5 in number
- Pepper and Salt according to taste
- Minced onions ½ cup
- Ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup peas
- Oil for deep frying
Preparation Method: Samosas I Delicious Snack
- In a larger bowl you will start by mixing salt and flour. The shortening should be rubbed into flour with hands till a mixture is formed. In case you are using oil, then it should only be stirred.
- Into the bowl add 5 or 6 tablespoons of cold water and it should be mixed till a kneadable formation results. It should be dripped in remaining cold water according to your needs and requirements.
- The dough should be removed and placed on a surface that has been floured in a lighter manner for a period of 10 minutes and stop only when it turns into silky smooth mixture. It should now be allowed to rest for approximately 30 minutes.
- Inside a sauté pan heat ¼ cup of oil upon medium level heat. To this make the addition of onions, coriander, ginger as well as sauté till the onions start getting the brown color after this remove from flame.
- Inside the larger bowl make the addition of cooked potatoes and with the help of potato masher, mash these in a lighter fashion. Mix the mixture of salt, peas, pepper and onion into it.
- Now return towards the wrapper dough and it should now be divided into 16 pieces and each of these pieces should be rolled to form 6 inch circle and every circle should be cut in half.
- The cut sides of every circle should be brought closer for forming a cone. The corners should be moisten using little water and fingers should used for sealing these. Inside each cone add two tablespoons of the filling. The wrapper dough should now be folded down and with the help of water it should be sealed again. Do this with the rest of samosas and place these upon a baking sheet for drying for approximately 30 minutes.
- Inside a deep fryer oil should be heated and samosas should be deep fried in smaller batches till they are browned. Serve these delicious snacks with chatni to your guests.
Variations of Samosas Recipe I Delicious Snack Recipe
As far as the filling is concerned there are different versions present which include vegetable and meat. The amount of used potatoes can be reduced and in its place cooked or spiced beef can be used. Diced pumpkin, carrots can also be use. It is more related with using your own creativity for getting best results.