Moussaka is a juicy, delicious and creamy dish that is extremely popular in Greece and other Middle East Countries. Being an eggplant or potato-based dish, it includes the ground meat and the top of the dish is prepared with milk-based sauce and thickened with flour or eggs. This Mediterranean lamb dish is one of the most popular and specific dishes of Greece, while it is a fantastic option to make on particular occasions at home. The formal Greek Moussaka recipe requires some important ingredients and the specific steps to cook like;
- Tomato based sauce is used to cook the lamb or luscious beef
- Creamy béchamel sauce and sweet eggplants are used to layer up the cooked beef or lamb and they are baked completed until go golden
- The traditional Greek Moussaka recipe will never let your guests down in taste and deliciousness
The preparation of Greek Moussaka recipe can easily be summarized and classified into friendly as well as convenient stages that are easier to be accomplished. Generally, there are three main stages to prepare this recipe.
- Meat filling preparation
- Preparing béchamel sauce
- Cooking and preparing eggplants
The recipe will be fantastic if you use the lamb or minced beef. However, it is a great idea to mix both and prepare the Greek Moussaka recipe with a lasting taste and deliciousness. General steps of preparing Greece Moussaka are;
- Saute ground beef in olive oil
- Add onion and garlic for flavoring
- Simmer this recipe in sauce and red wine
- Penetrate the spices, aromatic herbs and other ingredients with the meat and get a wonderful taste and fragrance of the recipe
- Put the recipe in an oven and let it simmer and mingle the flavors and ingredients completely
- Get it out and start serving.
If you are a vegetarian, then Greek Moussaka recipe with mushroom based sauce and get it prepared for you. You can go ahead to read and learn about Greece recipes here……..
Preparation and Cooking Time 2 hours
Ingredients: Moussaka Recipe | Vegetable Recipes
1 kg (6 aubergines)
500g minced lamb
2 small onions
Salt and pepper
125ml olive oil
Butter for the dish
Moussaka Recipe | Vegetable Recipes
Cut the aubergine into thin slices lengthways. Sprinkle salt over the cut surfaces and leave for 30 minutes to draw out the bitter juice.
Pour away the juice and wash the slices. Dry them on absorbent paper and toss in flour. Heat half the olive in a large frying-pan and fry the aubergine slices in batches until pale brown.
Break up the minced lamb and dice the onions. Heat the remaining oil. First, brown the meat then add the diced onion and fry until transparent. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water. Peel and slice thinly.
Heat the oven to 200° C
Butter a baking dish and cover the base with a third of the aubergine slices. Cover with sliced tomatoes and half the minced meat mixture. Then add another layer of aubergines, tomatoes, minced meat and the remaining aubergine slices. Bake in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes.
Mix together the yogurt, eggs, 1 tbsp of flour and salt and pour over the aubergines. Bake for a further 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Classic Moussaka Recipe is completed. Enjoy!